6/23/2007

I was forgetting myself

Today I did something I have had trouble doing in the past. I didn't even try to do it, it just happened without thought or pretense. First, I would like to explain that I have wonderful family and friends. But, as nothing is perfect (and neither am I) I do know some people who can, at times, be 'plan breakers' or 'plan changers'. I normally just go with the flow. I had specific plans with someone today to do something for about an hour, no big deal, and something I was doing more for this person than for myself. This person decided to change plans and suggest something else (that would serve them-not a bad thing, it is what it is). I responded, "Oh, thanks, but I have some things I want to get done for myself" (the truth). Now, it was nothing this person couldn't do alone-a mere errand. Moreover, it didn't serve me or my needs at the time, so I declined. Normally, I would have agreed, just to accomodate the other. I noticed a look of surprise on the person's face when I responded in the way I did. I felt awkward, but just for a moment. Then it hit me, how others expect me to serve them because that was always my role! That is not a bad thing, as long as I am continuing to serve myself. My past problem was that I was forgetting myself. I proceeded to make arrangements for another time, and I went on with my day, getting so many things done I had wanted to do for a while. I don't feel guilty, I feel productive and satisfied.

No comments: